I just got a new puppy and in the process learned a lot about fleas and tapeworms. I thought I would share the information here:
My puppy seemed very sluggish the first day I had him. I was concerned so I got an appointment with a vet. After the exam, the vet told me my puppy had a tapeworm. He explained that fleas transmit the tapeworms when an animal ingests the infected flea.
He gave my puppy a shot to get rid of the current tapeworm, but he warned that the puppy must have a flea-free environment to prevent a new infection.
I went ahead and started monthly flea treatments for the dog. However, being in the pest control industry, I know these treatments are not enough to prevent him from ingesting a flea. These popular treatments are very helpful but it can take up to 24 hours to kill a flea once it comes in contact with your pet. The best way to prevent contact with fleas is to treat the home and yard as well. This is especially helpful for pets that have a flea allergy because it only takes a few bites to cause significant discomfort for the pet.
Our flea treatments cost between $50 - $100 and usually only need to be done once or twice a year. For more information you can contact our office at (770) 995-5053.
Have a great day,
Alternative Pest Control Staff